Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the hobby shop employee correct?
I was told I Should NEVER run LIPO batteries on a brushed motor.

I was told I could expect motor life of two weeks or less If i did.

As I've read other posts here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Was I Lied to?
The only problem with running LiPo on brushes ESC/motors is that many of them don't have a low voltage warning. A LiPo runs between 8.4v and 6.0v, any lower and you are risking damaging the battery.

You can run a LiPo on brushed systems but must have a low voltage warning device/alarm fitted into the circuit. I've never used these so can't recommend any.

Hope this helps
[Image: %25C5%258Ckami%2BDrift_banner.jpg]
Okay... So as long as there is a Low Voltage warning circuit, the lipo cant hurt the motor right/?

As long as its within the correct voltage range?
Correct, some brushed esc's have a low voltage detection. I know the traxxas latrax Teton and the SST come brushed and the ESC had a lvd cut off NIMH battery the on light is red and in lipo mode it's green. Hope this helps but a lipo alarm would work

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Using a lipo with a brushed motor isn't going to hurt the motor. If the esc doesn't support lipos then you take the chance of ruining the lipo battery unless as stated above you put an alarm in it. Do a search on ebay for lipo alarm they are all about the same and run a couple of dollars. Some you can adjust the LVC and some not. Either will work. For a drift car you don't need anything bigger than a 2s lipo.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

(05-20-2017, 02:23 AM)MrAkhtar86 Wrote:  The only problem with running LiPo on brushes ESC/motors is that many of them don't have a low voltage warning assurances obsèques. A LiPo runs between 8.4v and 6.0v, any lower and you are risking damaging the battery.

You can run a LiPo on brushed systems but must have a low voltage warning device/alarm fitted into the circuit. I've never used these so can't recommend any.

Hope this helps
So you have to increase the voltage so that it is more compatible or how you do it. Because I also use this kind of device.

I think the employee is wrong to explain it that way.
Like said above, yes it will if the ESC does not have low voltage cut-off protection.
It's not an issue for the motor but for the batteries really.
As you may already know, draining lipos below 7.2V is not ideal if you want to keep them a while. They will deteriorate a lot faster, or worst, puff up and loose balance beyond safe point and catch fire.
Since brushed is somewhat old technology, it's often assumed a brushed setup is good for NiCd or Nimh batteries rather than LiPo.
But thanks to the crawler crowd, there are a lot of brushed motors left running around so lipo cutoff have been present on most brushed ESCs released within the last two to three years.
Make sure to still check if it has it though.
Just a thought. I have an old 27t motor. And some old nimh batteries. How safe is it to run a magnet on the brushed motor like this. Is there a chance i will see a fire? Which would be kind of exciting..
Hpi E10.CSD
Sakura D4 RWD