Wrap Up Next MRD Chassis - Overview

4 Replies, 3116 Views

Being a new chassis I thought some would find a more detailed look interesting because there isn't much out there.

I became a fan of WUN products quality and design so when this came out it had everything i was looking for... simplicity, balance, looks, standard design aspects and could accommodate a weight shift tray. The MRD is a Drift Package conversation but I built it up from the ground with mostly WUN products and a few Yokomo DP pieces that were necessary.

With little to no build directions (what I could find was in Japanese only, thanks Google translate) the build took some tinkering and a lot of test fitting but that was half the fun. 6 steps backwards and 7 forward at times, so it's definitely an advanced build.

I came from a D3 frankenstein'd into RWD so initial set up was a challenge for me. It's handling characteristics are so different because of a totally different weight distribution. I'd say the MRD weight placement is most comparable to a D-Like or DIB, mid-front motor designs. With some help from very knowledgeable local track guys who have these chassises I was heading in the right direction after some initial frustration.

I eventually got in one solid 3-4 hour session free of major changes and I couldn't be more satisfied. Weight shifts and it rotates very close to a 1:1. No design flaws I could find to this point. If anything acts a fool I'll add it as an update to this thread.

No complains about steering angle.
[Image: IMG_1161_zpsercfnexd.jpg]

Tight clearances in there. Front bulkhead needed some shimming to accommodate the OMG servo. The design and manufacturing around the spur gears (single speed transmission?) is impressive.
[Image: IMG_1164_zpsay4clasa.jpg]

The D-like A-arm braces are a must have for anyone. Took A LOT of tinkering to get them to fit but they take out any slop. These KONDO upper arms came from my previous chassis and seemed to gain slop overtime between the hardware that attaches to the chassis and the main part of the arm.
[Image: IMG_1159_zpsmlj6cceu.jpg]

http://oversliders.net was nice enough to make a weight shift tray support that fits the MRD top deck perfectly! Super nice people over there. The added weights give me a 58/42 rear/front weight distribution.
[Image: IMG_1163_zpshebs4d02.jpg]

WUN KONDO VX rear arms and rear bulkhead (difficult to take a pic of) are very nice CNC'd pieces. Worth the cost. The Yokomo gear diff puts down a lot of traction. I came from a solid rear axle and the difference is huge.
[Image: IMG_1162_zpscns08v03.jpg]

One last pic! Hope you enjoy!
[Image: IMG_1158_zps3qqpzqn2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM by inittowinit.)
Thanks for the shout Smile
We were happy to work with you on this project.
The chassis look great. I can't wait to see some videos of shredding on the track.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<
If I was helpful to you, make sure to hit the "Rate" button and leave me a positive review, Thank you.
Nice, I haven't seen a MR-D other than on the WUN blogs so it's pretty cool to see how you've built yours. I'm working on my FR-D V3 and will probably get those D-like upper arm stiffeners to reduce play. How are the Usukani turnbuckles treating you?

-Vic
Stable
  • Yokomo DIB275 Premium (RWD Conversion)
  • Yokomo DPR (Hayato Yoshiba Spec)
  • Yokomo YD-4
  • Yokomo YD-2 PLUS
Drift Gundam Blog
(02-25-2016, 04:49 AM)DriftGundam Wrote: Nice, I haven't seen a MR-D other than on the WUN blogs so it's pretty cool to see how you've built yours. I'm working on my FR-D V3 and will probably get those D-like upper arm stiffeners to reduce play. How are the Usukani turnbuckles treating you?

-Vic

The turnbuckles are a really innovative design. From what I've seen I'm impressed with Usukani as whole. I'm using overdose ball ends that because of the unique plastic it makes adjusting while installed a little difficult. The ball ends don't seem to want to stay in place when turning the turnbuckle, it's like they're binding or sticking with the threads inside the turnbuckle. They recommend Yokomo ball ends, which are a different/harder plastic and probably work better, like I saw with Sakura supplied ball ends that I also tested. I'd still recommend them to anyone as they make a really strong tie rod.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM by inittowinit.)
Just needs a Burnout Demon and it would be complete.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk