Forums

Full Version: lift oversteer tuning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=3627][attachment=3628][attachment=3629]

hey guys, im working on my first dedicated rc drift chassis. I know its not ideal but i have an hpi rs4 sport 3. Ive converted to rwd and achieved some impressive steering angle with the stock lcas. Im running mst soft tires front and rear with the stock weight bias which seems to be about 45f 55r. Ive been messing with spring rates and right now i have pretty stiff springs in front and soft 1.2 springs in the rear with no droop.

The issue im having is whenever im mid drift and trying to slow down, it will spin out uncontrollably. It will hold a nice drift if i maintain speed or speed up, but as soon as i start to let off the throttle it spins out. I dont know where to start. Im not sure if i need to try a different weight bias, change my droop settings, spring rates or what. Ive heard conflicting info on what is better as far as rear or front weight but im starting to think i need like 60f 40r to control this lift oversteer.
In my opinion, get good a gyro. Set highest sensitivity and work downwards.

Set low throttle setting that car wheels always spins at lightest touch. I set this at the remote. This is a personal preference. If you can adjust delay in throttle release even better.

Car should be weighted towards rear.

This might sound crazy, but try a harder tire on the rear and make sure its flat. Not the rounded tires. Set rear camber to 0. If I'm right the car should spin more, but the car will move less and allow you to control the lower speed drifts.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
(01-23-2017, 05:18 AM)littlemonsta Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, get good a gyro. Set highest sensitivity and work downwards.

Set low throttle setting that car wheels always spins at lightest touch. I set this at the remote. This is a personal preference. If you can adjust delay in throttle release even better.

Car should be weighted towards rear.

This might sound crazy, but try a harder tire on the rear and make sure its flat. Not the rounded tires. Set rear camber to 0. If I'm right the car should spin more, but the car will move less and allow you to control the lower speed drifts.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapata
i forgot to mention i am running a gyro currently. I forget the brand but it wasnt exactly cheap so i can only hope its high quality. The only adjustments i have on my current controller are st. trim, th. trim and st. d/r which reduces my steering angle, so i will have to upgrade to something a little better. I will definitely give the harder rear tires a go. I tested it out with the battery in the rear which made it extremely rear biased. It was definitely different but im not sure if it was better. it understeered a lot more than usual, which meant i had to use more throttle and weight transfer to initiate, which ultimately caused me to spin out. Does your setup have a lot of understeer?
I run on tiles and epoxy surfaces. I run a converted rwd. Currently setup that works is a grippy tire in front and hard tire at back. Running ds f3 in front and mst hard on back.

Edit : I find now running even tires are smoother and more balanced during drift.

Balance is about 40-60 f-r , running battery at the back creates more grip and the car moves faster. Too fast and you will understeer at high speeds if balance is too much in the rear.If you feel that the car isn't turning that it should, add some weight in front to balance for control.

I had a gyro that I thought is was ok. When I realised that for higher speed tracks and longer drifts I was constantly correcting the cars angle.

When you have a good gyro, the only thing you are correcting is how much angle you want the car to turn in. I was kicking myself for months trying to solve the understeer and oversteer issues.

If you have access to a local drift track, ask the people there. They can help you check your car.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk