Forums

Full Version: IS a Yokomo a good starter car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been trying to figure out which way to go. I know I want CS but I dont even know where to begin. I am trying to sell my Xbox One setup in order to fund this process. Just Needing advice on where to start.
Do you know if it will be a shaft or belt? and yokomo is a high 0uality brand. what's your budget?
I'm going for belt because as far as I can tell they work a lot better for CS. I'm looking around 350 total for now.
you can get a Yokomo DIB RS for $225 with a front one way. it is fully upgradable to alu and CF.
Ok and that is 225 with no electronics right? I know that you get what you pay for but banzai doesn't offer the sakura which I would like. But they do have some setup with all electronics and transmitter for like $90. Also apparently 3racing is completely out of d3 kits.

And what about this Spice chassis?
http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/dri...ft-chassis
rcmart.com has them with electronics if you want a d3
for that 350 you can buy a fully optioned eagle racing CS chassis like the TA05 they have. You'll have enough of that 350 left to get you the basic electronics needed. Just as good of a quality as D3.
RC-Art sells the SAkura D3 for $83USD. That leaves you $250 ish (after shipping) for everything else.

A big question is exactly how "new" are you? Are you completely new to the RC hobby or just new to the drift side of things? Being completely new to RC cars I'm not sure if the D3 would be a good choice. You have to assemble the kit and you may have fitment issues during assembly. You may also have issues with the assembly of a Yokomo as they are primarily in Japanese. That said, if you feel you're mechanically proficient then any assembly issues with any brand of kit shouldn't be a thing.

If you're familiar with RC cars then now you'll find that most local hobby shops don't have anything worthwhile in regards to RC drift. Paypal and Google translate will become your friend.

I'm not going to be that guy and say get this kit or get this brand. Just make sure you get the most out of your $350. FOW, rear spool, CS, high angle steering, high angle axles; those are things you will want on your chassis. Too often I see guys buying the cheapest kit then easily spend more than triple of what the kit cost on parts. Sometimes that $600 hyper expensive kit turns out to be a bargain in terms of the long run and is well worth saving up for.
Thank you all for your very candid advice. And Cheify I think I will just wait and save to get a better kit rather than being cheap. I know you get what you pay for in this hobby. As far as new goes I was very into RC's through childhood with my uncle who managed the local shop. I'm definetly new to the actual drift cars been trying to get basics down with this cheap Vaterra V-100. And I am definetly mechanicly inclined I fix cars and everything else at my house and can do some electronics so I'm pretty confident in the skills to do this.lol As for now I will be putting the building a car on hold until I can get a good kit that is worth the extra money.