DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!

Full Version: Impulse Buy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-05-2016, 09:24 PM)wareagle84 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why they'd ship it with a nimh battery and have the esc in LiPo mode...but it is HPI and they've been known to do odd things in recent history. If it is in fact in LiPo mode, yeah you can just plug in a LiPo and you're good. I think you can run nimh in LiPo mode, as LiPo mode is basically just a cutoff at a certain voltage to prevent cell damage. DO NOT run a LiPo battery without a cutoff or in LiPo mode, ever.
LiPo's are kind of fragile and can become dangerous if mistreated. The most common types of LiPo accidents involve people using them after obvious signs of damage (puffing) following an accident or after dropping it, overcharging or charging at too high rate or over discharging them (not using a cut off). Over charging and discharging damage the cells and they become chemically unstable and can catch fire or even explode.
Absolutely read some good informative articles on LiPo batteries and how to safely use and store them before just assuming and treating them like a traditional rechargeable battery.

man, these things seem kind of risky. Not even sure if I would want them in my house lol.
That's how I felt for the longest time, then eventually broke down and bought a couple and a good charger. I keep mine in a LiPo charging bag and then keep that in an old ammo case I picked up at an antique store for $20. I'm also very careful to not drop them and I always inspect them for puffing before and after charging.
(01-05-2016, 09:24 PM)wareagle84 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why they'd ship it with a nimh battery and have the esc in LiPo mode...but it is HPI and they've been known to do odd things in recent history. If it is in fact in LiPo mode, yeah you can just plug in a LiPo and you're good. I think you can run nimh in LiPo mode, as LiPo mode is basically just a cutoff at a certain voltage to prevent cell damage. DO NOT run a LiPo battery without a cutoff or in LiPo mode, ever.
LiPo's are kind of fragile and can become dangerous if mistreated. The most common types of LiPo accidents involve people using them after obvious signs of damage (puffing) following an accident or after dropping it, overcharging or charging at too high rate or over discharging them (not using a cut off). Over charging and discharging damage the cells and they become chemically unstable and can catch fire or even explode.
Absolutely read some good informative articles on LiPo batteries and how to safely use and store them before just assuming and treating them like a traditional rechargeable battery.

Yeah, i've been doing some reading. Also going to go to the hobby store on my initial purchase if I do go LiPo to make sure I understand everything.

Would you recommend a brushless motor for the sprint 2?

Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it.
I would always recommend brushless. I just got back into rc cars a few years ago and was amazed at how awesome brushless was compared to the standard brushed motors I grew up with in the late 80's and 90's. For drifting, nothing really beats a sensored brushless combo, but a good programmable brushless is still far better than HPI's stock brushed motor and esc.
The stock Flux with Castle Link is great, but you might be able to get something better for cheaper.
If you go lipo just store it one of these, they're cheap enough
[Image: fcb06facbbf9c5f3b25b998f123d2726.jpg]
I also have a sprint 2. Got it used with a different esc and stock motor. Was looking into the CS setup from afrorc. So far I've only locked the rear diff and cut out some of the steering arm to allow it to turn a little more
Pages: 1 2