DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!

Full Version: New to RC Drifting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.  I'm new to the RC drift scene and looking for a bit of guidance.  I used to own a HPI RS4 Nitro some years back so i'm not 100% new to RC but in no way would I consider myself "experienced".  I have been doing quite a bit of reading to attempt to educate myself a bit prior to asking questions.  I look forward to getting this build going and am anxious to receive new information.  Now that I have my account set up I'll be using the search function to answer questions and hopefully if I cant find it that way You all can help me out!  Thanks in advance!

Shaun
Welcome! I also used to own a HPI RS4 Nitro and still researching on drift r/cs. I did find a useful video that can be of guidance: https://youtu.be/raaT91F9Vxw
Welcome...There is tons of info here on Drift mission. I am a fellow newbie to the site.
(01-21-2016, 07:00 PM)Mk1rs2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all.  I'm new to the RC drift scene and looking for a bit of guidance.  I used to own a HPI RS4 Nitro some years back so i'm not 100% new to RC but in no way would I consider myself "experienced".  I have been doing quite a bit of reading to attempt to educate myself a bit prior to asking questions.  I look forward to getting this build going and am anxious to receive new information.  Now that I have my account set up I'll be using the search function to answer questions and hopefully if I cant find it that way You all can help me out!  Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Welcome to Drifting Noobs 101 Shaun. First let me commend you on your first step with getting a DM account going, no better place in the world to learn, ask, answer, research, pretty much anything RC drift, lots of great guys here willing to help you out. I have been RC drifting for nearly 7 years now and have worked in hobby shops the past 4-5 years, So if you have any questions from what kit to start off with, do you need a Gyro, 50/50, CS, HCS, RWD what do they all mean? Ackerman, do I need it? Can I use PVC for tires? Is brushless a good system for drifting and what does it mean censored? Can I use NiMh batteries instead of lipo? What's better Carbon Fiber chassis or aluminum? What is weight bias and is it important? How come my kit has no droop settings? The questions never stop and can be quite over whelming, but make a list, ask questions and do some reading and you will be up to speed in no time. So please do not hesitate to fire away any questions you may have, I may not have all your answers but I will for sure point you in the right direction to find the answer I do not have. Only solid advice I can offer that stays true across the board, practice, practice, practice, thats the answer to all lol. Lastly, don't do what others tell you to do, do what you want to do, keep drifting fun, learn what you want, build what you want, drive how you want, buy what you want, not because people told you too or cause its the newest product or trend available. Other than that Above all else, enjoy, have fun, make friends, challenge yourself and let RC drifting be your only financial mistake in life LOL. Stay sideways my friend.
(01-22-2016, 02:14 PM)SICKwidIT Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome! I also used to own a HPI RS4 Nitro and still researching on drift r/cs.  I did find a useful video that can be of guidance: https://youtu.be/raaT91F9Vxw

Thanks for the link!  A lot of great suggestions.
(01-22-2016, 07:05 PM)Jonnie Fraz Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome...There is tons of info here on Drift mission. I am a fellow newbie to the site.

Thanks!  I've been reading for hours and don't see it stopping anytime soon.
(01-22-2016, 07:46 PM)FlairJair Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2016, 07:00 PM)Mk1rs2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all.  I'm new to the RC drift scene and looking for a bit of guidance.  I used to own a HPI RS4 Nitro some years back so i'm not 100% new to RC but in no way would I consider myself "experienced".  I have been doing quite a bit of reading to attempt to educate myself a bit prior to asking questions.  I look forward to getting this build going and am anxious to receive new information.  Now that I have my account set up I'll be using the search function to answer questions and hopefully if I cant find it that way You all can help me out!  Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Welcome to Drifting Noobs 101 Shaun. First let me commend you on your first step with getting a DM account going, no better place in the world to learn, ask, answer, research, pretty much anything RC drift, lots of great guys here willing to help you out. I have been RC drifting for nearly 7 years now and have worked in hobby shops the past 4-5 years, So if you have any questions from what kit to start off with, do you need a Gyro, 50/50, CS, HCS, RWD what do they all mean? Ackerman, do I need it? Can I use PVC for tires? Is brushless a good system for drifting and what does it mean censored? Can I use NiMh batteries instead of lipo? What's better Carbon Fiber chassis or aluminum? What is weight bias and is it important? How come my kit has no droop settings? The questions never stop and can be quite over whelming, but make a list, ask questions and do some reading and you will be up to speed in no time. So please do not hesitate to fire away any questions you may have, I may not have all your answers but I will for sure point you in the right direction to find the answer I do not have. Only solid advice I can offer that stays true across the board, practice, practice, practice, thats the answer to all lol. Lastly, don't do what others tell you to do, do what you want to do, keep drifting fun, learn what you want, build what you want, drive how you want, buy what you want, not because people told you too or cause its the newest product or trend available. Other than that Above all else, enjoy, have fun, make friends, challenge yourself and let RC drifting be your only financial mistake in life LOL. Stay sideways my friend.

Thanks!  It is a lot to take in but luckily I'm not in a big hurry.  All I've been looking into so far is chassis and I've been reading and watching videos for hours!  I'm sure you will be seeing a list of questions from me real soon =)
One thing that I would offer is, first watch out for watching videos, your free time literally disappears on you lol. But in regards to looking into a chassis, consider these few questions before purchasing. Think about where you will be doing most of your drifting, at a local track, friends basement or garage, on the street in front of your house or maybe a parking lot or a link on a warehouse weekend session. This is a very big key factor as to what you should get. Next, what do you want to do with your RC drifting hobby? Do you want to build replica models with engine bays (something with a low profile would work best compared to something like a FS-01D where there's no room to build an engine bay) do you like the tinkering side and experimenting new set ups, do you desire the ultimate in driving experience and challenges in rubbing your neighbors door or do you want to make movies and do lots of filming of your skills?This will also hone in on your skills. Also start with a base model, don't go and buy every hop up right off from the start. Everyone has different driving styles and have different expectations of what they want their car to do.Have fun and build along the way. The jouorney to your dialed in chassis is some of the best stuff. Lastly a budget, this is one people look at what they can afford and then blow their budget on a simple chassis. Look at the after market parts available for your chosen chassis, get a ball park figure of what you can spend in upgrades. No point buying a $900 chassis where a basic upgrade is $80-$100 on a smaller budget. Something like a Yokomo Drift Package Plus you can get for around $160 and your basic upgrade is $25-$400. This chassis probably has the biggest aftermarket available to it but like a Vaccula or Divval by Overdose has up grades pretty much only from the mother company and you have limited options. For that price alone you could literally get 2-3 NEW chassis all different. An RE-R EVOL, Drift package and a TT-02 GRT all for the price of a high end chassis. So really look at your budget and your long term goals, you don't need to break the bank off the start for all the bling cause truust me, you will be there soon enough lol. The one last thing I guess I should mention is whether or not you have any RC equipment, EX transmitter, servo, batteries, chargers etc etc. If you are starting from scratch then a RTR or Ready To Run out of the box is the best way to start, gets you everything you basic need so you can get sideways after a single battery charge.
Consider these few things, if you can shoot me answers for these questions I can put forth some of your best options to look into and "watch videos" for the next 10,000 hours lol. Hope this helps out a bit. Best of luck and I await your barrage of questions to come, this is also part of the hobby which is great, helping out others and "Noobs" to help the hobby grow and strive forward.
Flairjair, thanks for the suggestions! I can see myself watching too many videos. So I have a 2 car garage with polished concrete that I will be getting the basics down. There are a few really smooth tarmac parking lots for once I need more room. I have not really searched for local tracks or clubs yet. Figured I'd embarrass my self in private to start:) Initially I felt i wanted a sakura D3. I figured a CS set up would be a good place to start. Then I thought the 2.14 was a high ratio to start so I was thinking a d4 awd as i believe those are around a 1.5. My end goal is a rwd set up. So in my reading I read a few people say go straight to rwd, in which dase the D4 was still an option. But now with the upgrades "needed" to the sakura chassis I'm looking at the eagle racing line of chassis. They seem to be a really good deal and have a lot of high end parts. I have no RC equipment so I will be buying everything, probably in phases:) I figure if I get the chassis first, I can take my time putting it together, making sure theres no binding going on and small things like that. But first I have to make up my mind!