DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!

Full Version: Brand new to the game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys i am a super noob when it comes to all of this stuff. I just recently bought a sakura d3 online and since i am such a noob at this i actually thought it came with a battery and motor and or a controller. so i need you guys to help me out. i have no clue what to get and or what i need specifically to actually have a running rc. If you guys know of a thread to show me that would be much appreciated seeing how it took me like an hour to figure out how to start a thread. I also want your opinions... what do you think would be best for a beginner like me? Any help at all... i would be extremely grateful.

thanks.
Welcome bro! Nothing wrong with being a noob, we all gotta start somewhere!

I meant to add more to my post so here goes...

The car. You bought a Sakura D3 so you'll need to assemble it. Though L-wrenches are supplied, it's a good idea to have a metric allen wrench set. That will make things so much easier. Long nose pliers, a hobby knife, side cutters, etc are all good to have. I work on real cars and having the right tool makes the job that much easier.

A radio. You'll need a surface channel controller with a minimum 2 channels. One for throttle and one for steering. You'll find 3 and 4 channel radios, but the extra channels are only useful if your car will need it. You can get something basic or you can get some crazy computerized getup, it all depends on your budget.

Servo. You will need a servo to steer the car. Most modern radios don't come with one. You'll also want something "standard sized". I prefer faster servos with a metal output shaft. Again, your budget will dictate what works for you. I absolutely do not recommend cheap all plastic servos (plastic gears and plastic output shaft)

Motor and ESC. Deciding on what to get for the first timer can be tricky. Just know that the lower the "turn" the higher the RPM (or the higher the KV, the higher the RPM). Brushless setups are becoming the norm but occasionally you'll find a brushed setup @ a great price. Brushless setups also come in sensored and sensorless. (LOL, am I confusing you yet?) Personally I prefer a sensored brushless setup between 8.5 turn to 13.5 turn.

A body. Most RC car bodys are clear and flexible. You paint them from the inside and cut off the unused portions. You'll want something that 1/10 scale 190mm or 200mm.

Battery and charger. This too can get confusing. NiMH? Lipo? NiCd? LiFE? For the sake of simplicity lets just say most folks use Lipo. Specifically something 7.4 volt 2-cell. You'll see stuff like 2s2p or 2s1p, but again, just to simplify you want something 7.4 volt 2-cell.
The charger too can be confusing. Lipo batteries will require a lipo specific charger. I just prefer something AC that can charge 2 cells with a digital display.

Now there's the little stuff(!!!) Paint, battery plugs, AA batteries, gears, heatshrink, solder just off the top of my head. There is so much stuff in this hobby it can be overwhelming but if you're willing to have the patience to learn it can get very rewarding.

Really your best bet would be to visit a good hobby shop and ask them for help in what's needed to get your car running. If you're doubting yourself on the build, for a price they may be able to assemble your kit as well. Maybe you have experienced friends in RC, surely they can help too. It doesn't matter if they're into off road buggies or crawlers. heck it doesnt matter if they're into helicopters and planes. An RC model is an RC model, and at their most basic all require the same thing to get up and running.

Good luck with your build and remember there are no stupid questions!

When it doubt google it!
You Sound like my friend ALAN!!!!.. he just went balls deep into a new MST set up.. spending more than he should of have for his first drift car.. but hes just  ridiculous.. :P.. i  would  just recommend a simple  SpeKtrum  DX3C  RADIO  , and a  Zippy  Battery    Batt. For the Motor just EBay a reventon speed  passion  set up,  because  there is a deal going on atm .. it comes with a motor and esc.. i chose a 10.5 R for my  first  Motor. If you dont know what these terms mean? just ask.. ill do my best to explain them... The D3 is a good budget car.  

You will also need a charger, wires, soldering gun.. etc..
(02-28-2013, 08:44 PM)Team_Ridiculous Wrote: [ -> ]You Sound like my friend ALAN!!!!.. he just went balls deep into a new MST set up.. spending more than he should of have for his first drift car.. but hes just  ridiculous.. :P.. i  would  just recommend a simple  SpeKtrum  DX3C  RADIO  , and a  Zippy  Battery    Batt. For the Motor just EBay a reventon speed  passion  set up,  because  there is a deal going on atm .. it comes with a motor and esc.. i chose a 10.5 R for my  first  Motor. If you dont know what these terms mean? just ask.. ill do my best to explain them... The D3 is a good budget car.  

You will also need a charger, wires, soldering gun.. etc..

yeah i don't know what any of those terms mean. Its frustrating because i don't even know how to go about finding things that i know i need, you know? I don't wanna go out and question buying something and then it be completely useless to me. I'll try to do some research on those keywords though to understand better. Also a charger? Charger for the battery?
I like hobbypartz.com for one stop battery/charger shopping. Thunder AC6 - charges every available battery chemistry.

*IF* you run LiPo batteries, research safe storage, use and discharge. There is a real possibility of fire - but if you can use common sense and can understand basic science, the risk is no more than a Toshiba Laptop :D :D

Gens Ace hard case lipos are ROAR approved - ROAR approved lipo are supposed to withstand an internal fire for 30 minutes without burning down everything around it... but soft packs come in smaller sizes and can visually checked for puffing/damage.
when people are talking about motors they usually have a T after the number in this case it was an R but it means the number of turns of wire wound onto the motor. you want between an 8.5T and a 13T motor. the speed passion setup he stated is an ESC (electronic speed controller). rcMart is usually good for combo deals
and we all knew nothing at one point... :D :D

motor turns - more turns (like 17.5t), more torque, lower top speed. less turns more top speed, less torque (like 8.5). Euro drift spec is 13.5t iirc, I run 8.5t for the few times I'm on a HUGE track.

radio - spektrum is  a great brand, run by a US company. get 2.4ghz (its pretty much all they sell). Get the Transmitter (tx) and a matching reciever (rx).

ESC - alot of people like speed passion, but I prefer made in the USA Novak! There's brushed motors (two wires, your radio shack car) and brushless motors (three wires, hobby grade). Additionally, there's sensored and sensorless brushless - sensored is smoother and is the standard for drifting. sensorless is more popular in offroad where you run WFO all the time.
You came to the right place.. And you will get guided in the right direction..I do agree with chiefs comment so I will not add to it too much.. i will post from my experiences..

i scour ebay for parts esc, motors, etc.. also rctech is great for getting 2nd hand parts really never had a problem with anything there... as for lipo batteries go to hobbyking they have the best buy for ur money.. rc mart, tqracing have loads of parts for the d3...

As for types of brands of parts.. My advice is read up on them.. There are loads of companies out there.. Novak, speed passion, hobbywing, keyence, Tacon, etc... In the end it's up to you what you want to get..

There is a d3 thread on the forums that I would advise you to read and other sections here to help you out if you are unsure about something.. Also if ur unsure jus post a question in the help section and someone will chime.. In this dori community we like to help each other out there is no dumb question.. I too am pretty new and have no shame asking questions.. Hehe.. And welcome to the D3 community I too own one..
thanks guys i really appreciate it... you've given me a lot to research. If i have anymore questions theyll be posted in the help forums

thanks again guys.
Welcome