DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!
Steep Learning Curve? - Printable Version

+- DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting! (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: RC Drift Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-rc-drift-discussion)
+--- Forum: Help Section (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-help-section)
+--- Thread: Steep Learning Curve? (/Thread-steep-learning-curve)

Steep Learning Curve? - Dripp_e - 03-01-2017

New to RC Drift, not to the hobby of RC. I come from a offroad background, mostly bashing, some racing. I've built a Sakura D4 CS and have been trying to learn to drift, with varied levels of success. I went to my first event last week and I really had a hard time drifting the course without spinning, understeering, or crashing. I know I had some pretty aweful tires which could be part of the problem. I had trouble getting a consistent drift or linking corners. Car has massive understeer on entry and in drift. I was also told I should convert to RWD and learn that instead of bothering with CS.

short story long, is the learning curve that steep? Does setup play that big a role? Help a newb out. I run on carpet.

Setup for reference:
D4 AWD
Yeah racing Gyro
Bluebird Servo
13.5 T Brushless sensorless running on 2s
Yokomo Super Drift Tire Zero One R2 (I have some MST Silver dot on order)
3 Racing Front one way diff
Flysky radio and reciever

RE: Steep Learning Curve? - aackjw - 03-01-2017

It seems you are going through the similar path as I did.
I came from CS with MST 01D pro after couple of years of bashing with Emaxx. I got hooked with rc drifting instantly & I still am.
Just frustrating to get to the point where you can get the hang of it & start noticing the effect of each change by yourself.
I had a spinning issue with my CSed chssis. It took me a year to realize the shock oil was too thick. The car started being controllable after I put cooking oil instead of stock oil. This doesn't mean I didn't try & sit down waiting for the miracle from Jesus. I just didn't know where to look. This can be easily resolved if you have an access to any track, where you can meet people with extensive experience & knowledge, I presume.

RE: Steep Learning Curve? - littlemonsta - 03-02-2017

I agree with aackjw, you really need to ask a lot for Cs and get the right setup for yourself. I don't have a Cs but have tried some Cs cars. I could drive some in 30mins but found it really difficult to drive others.
Sometimes a simple setup could be missed and that would make it so much easier.
Rwd and cs r worlds apart. Different entry points , different brake points. Most of the guys at my track have both a Cs and rwd so they don't lose the skills from cs. But then again each car and driver are different.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

RE: Steep Learning Curve? - Rc Drift _Boy - 03-02-2017

(03-01-2017, 10:08 AM)Dripp_e Wrote:  New to RC Drift, not to the hobby of RC. I come from a offroad background, mostly bashing, some racing. I've built a Sakura D4 CS and have been trying to learn to drift, with varied levels of success. I went to my first event last week and I really had a hard time drifting the course without spinning, understeering, or crashing. I know I had some pretty aweful tires which could be part of the problem. I had trouble getting a consistent drift or linking corners. Car has massive understeer on entry and in drift. I was also told I should convert to RWD and learn that instead of bothering with CS.

short story long, is the learning curve that steep? Does setup play that big a role? Help a newb out. I run on carpet.

Setup for reference:
D4 AWD
Yeah racing Gyro
Bluebird Servo
13.5 T Brushless sensorless running on 2s
Yokomo Super Drift Tire Zero One R2 (I have some MST Silver dot on order)
3 Racing Front one way diff
Flysky radio and reciever
if i were you i would totally convert to rwd and also get some mst medium compound tires to get more grip

AND PLEASE DONT GET A BLUEBIRD SERVO because in my drift car i was i hit a wall and well the servo worked but it was free spolling like a winch hope you can understand me instead get a power hd from rc mart heres a link: http://www.rcmart.com/power-ds1206tg-high-speed-titanium-gear-profile-digital-servo-p-36958.html and that servo is plenty fast specs volts  4.8 0.07 / volts 6.0 speed .06

and also get like a sky rc gyro because the regular YR gyro are pretty trash for me, or if you dont want to run a gyro get a radio like the rc4g radio the reciver itself is also a gyro so you save your self some money to win/win and its a 4 channel radio probably better than flysky in my opinion 

• Speed: 0.07 sec (4.8V) │ 0.06 sec (6.0V)