Forums
New to RWD - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: Chassis, Styles, and Product Discussions (https://forum.driftmission.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) (https://forum.driftmission.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: New to RWD (/showthread.php?tid=11573)

New to RWD - Gramps50 - 03-05-2017

I started drifting about a month ago. Started by doing donuts around trash can lids, progressed to figure 8's. Now been doing donuts and figure 8's around some cones. Been to the local drift track (carpet) several times with varied success. Which bring me to my point I want to venture into RWD so I will be getting a Yokomo YD2 in the next couple of days. When it's built I will be ready to wet my feet with RWD. My question is how do I start? From the beginning doing donuts, then on to figure 8's or is there a better way?

RE: New to RWD - littlemonsta - 03-06-2017

Hi and congrats on getting the yd2 chassis. Start out the same way as awd practices. It's the same thing. Throw away what you learnt in awd. Rwd is about low throttle control. Don't pulse your throttle like a awd too. Smooth throttling is what you want .

Remember to use and practice on standard tires before purchasing tires. You need to understand the basic characteristics of rwd first.

Start out slow. Get used to how the gyro counters for you and make slight corrections to the angle. After donuts practice figure 8 then slalom type drifts.

Hope that helps and good luck

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

RE: New to RWD - Gramps50 - 03-06-2017

Kind of figured it was the same process. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive(drift) a YD2 when I was at the drift track a couple of weeks ago. I took some video of me driving it and I noticed that I was trying to make corrections that the gyro was making so it was counter productive. I know I will need to stop doing that. Haven't been AWD drifting all that long so I shouldn't have much to unlearn.

Thanks for the tips littlemonsta

RE: New to RWD - littlemonsta - 03-16-2017

(03-06-2017, 03:22 AM)Gramps50 Wrote: Kind of figured it was the same process. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive(drift) a YD2 when I was at the drift track a couple of weeks ago. I took some video of me driving it and I noticed that I was trying to make corrections that the gyro was making so it was counter productive. I know I will need to stop doing that. Haven't been AWD drifting all that long so I shouldn't have much to unlearn.

Thanks for the tips littlemonsta

Let's see that New YD2.

Actually I find that it's ok to counter the gyro. Don't worry about being counter productive. I recently turn down my gyro. So I'm trying to get used to it. I find that it helps(countering) when you turn down the gyro.

I don't have much time difference in learning rwd compared to you. Probably 4 months ahead of you. I'm pretty new too. But I'm pretty sure you would be able to pick up faster with the yd2. I was struggling with the stability issues of the d4 which made things slow.

This is what I found to help.
1) don't lower your steering speed as to some other suggestions on YouTube. When practicing you will find that you can't perform some drift styles with lower steering speed.
2) as you get better, try lowering the gyro gain. Start out at about 80℅. The target rate is about 50℅. I'm currently on at about 60℅. You will get what I mean. But always do what your comfortable with. I know this is gyro dependent. Some gyros are effortless at 50℅ gain. (Targets are set personally)
3) my practice on the track is straight forward. No fancy drifting. 45deg all the way. 3 different goals: stay in center line of track, all outer lines and then all inner lines. After you get used to that then only the racing lines and best drift lines.
4) EPA setting -You need to remember the trigger point where the car has the best acceleration and speed. You can limit your oversteering by adjusting​ your EPA down. Also you will see your car go faster too. This setting is personal preference. You need just enough throttle to create an oversteer and maintain a smooth drift while the car is in motion.

Also don't kick yourself if you can't follow the guys on the track. Normally the guys in my track slow down their cars so all of us can keep up.

If the guys in your track use turbos in their cars. Get earphones. I am going to start practicing with earphones. haha.

Good luck.

RE: New to RWD - Gramps50 - 03-21-2017

Took it to the track once I got all the bugs worked out like having the front lower A-arms on the wrong side it drifted very well. Now I can't make it drift that well but the experienced guys there can and did.

[Image: 20170312_201856-M.jpg]

Been working on the body but life keeps getting in the way and I never get a chance to finish it. Got it painted, needs the decals and the mounting kit installed but I also have to fix one the mounting post that I broke Friday at the track.

[Image: 20170316_202806-M.jpg]

RE: New to RWD - littlemonsta - 03-24-2017

Nice. Love the trucks.