DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!
COKE VS PEPSI - Printable Version

+- DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting! (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: RC Drift Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-rc-drift-discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: COKE VS PEPSI (/Thread-coke-vs-pepsi)

COKE VS PEPSI - madeinjapandad - 03-14-2017

Battle of the RC brands :

This question is directed at those with track experience , along with a well rounded general knowledge in drifting .

Between a Stock Sakura D4 RWD VS Stock Yokomo Y-D2 RWD , which one is better for drifting indoors and why ? 

Does the MST-FXX-D revised edition or REDCAT equivalent have anything on the YOKOMO Y-D2 or Sakura D4 in terms of stock out of the box conditions ?

If i handed you an envelope with 700 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?

If i handed you an envelope with 500 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?

If i handed you an envelope with 300 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to my observations and research of the RC drifting community I would describe the Sakura line of products as the hottest items out in the market , I've found extremely mixed reviews for the MST brand but i really like the RTR choices , REDCAT has some competitive prices , especially in the under 500 USD range . I'd like to hear from you the RC community in regards to my questions above , and any general opinions you have on the latest RC drifting models out in the market today .

I know there are some brands i missed , id love to hear about them too , so far my research has only included the brands mentioned above .

Thank You all for your time .

I Look forward to hearing anyones opinions , all opinions are welcome .   

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Millsicorn - 03-16-2017

Well for the most part, I believe Redcat does not have as many tuning/customization/upgrade parts as mst or the sakuras. Mst's and Sakura are going to be much more upgradable in the long run, and if u buy a Redcat, you will probably end up buying a better chassis quickly if u really get hooked on drifting. I'm a noob, but I think a lot of people would say the same about Redcats and the Exceed lineup as well. I think it would be a better choice just to go with something u can get parts for and upgrade/tune easily such as a Sakura D4(what I have) or any kind of mst, Yokomo or similar chassis.

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Davis - 03-17-2017

If i handed you an envelope with 300 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?
Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD conversion ^^

If i handed you an envelope with 500 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?
Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD and carbon conversion and some aluminum upgrades =)

If i handed you an envelope with 700 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?
Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD and carbon conversion and full bling aluminum upgrades Lol

;)

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - madeinjapandad - 03-17-2017

(03-16-2017, 03:04 PM)Millsicorn Wrote:  Well for the most part, I believe Redcat does not have as many tuning/customization/upgrade parts as mst or the sakuras. Mst's and Sakura are going to be much more upgradable in the long run, and if u buy a Redcat, you will probably end up buying a better chassis quickly if u really get hooked on drifting. I'm a noob, but I think a lot of people would say the same about Redcats and the Exceed lineup as well. I think it would be a better choice just to go with something u can get parts for and upgrade/tune easily such as a Sakura D4(what I have) or any kind of mst, Yokomo or similar chassis.

I completely agree , I came across a few blogs that mentioned the REDCAT as the number 1 car for its price for "BEGINNERS" in RC drifting , seeing as how I've been out of the game for 25 years , i thought the REDCAT would be a good place to start , i stand corrected , several others have mentioned the same thing . 

I wanted to stay away from putting kits together , but the Sakura and YOKOMO brands are extremely seductive !

(03-17-2017, 04:07 AM)Davis Wrote:  If i handed you an envelope with 300 USD in it to purchase a drift car for a close friend of yours to get into the sport , what is the 1 drifting car you would purchase ?
Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD conversion ^^

Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD and carbon conversion and some aluminum upgrades =)

Yokomo Driftpackage with RWD and carbon conversion and full bling aluminum upgrades Lol

;)
I'll keep you in mind , next time I'm handing out envelopes  Star  Lol Star

Seriously though DAVIS thanks for the advice , I'm just scared to get turned off by buying something thats isn't RTR and running into issues with assembly , parts and eventually having to upgrade the car . I'd rather just get something thats ready to go , right out of the box , no hassles , no stress , no having to pay a local RC mechanic to help me assemble my car , i simply want to open the box , drift and enjoy for now . Assembly and maintenance issues aside , i wouldn't hesitate for a second in purchasing a Sakura or Yokomo , as i said though , I'm not looking to get myself into anymore stressful situations , my life is stressful plenty , i want to enjoy myself , I'm not looking to add " Visit RC Mechanic " to my life or schedule at this present moment !

LOVING THIS FEEDBACK by the way , I'm learning plenty from this forum . Im pumped , but not pumped enough to purchase an unassembled YOKOMO or SAKURA kit , i may change my mind and go for one last minute , but for now id like more feedback and 48 hours of more research .

Thanks for your time .

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Davis - 03-17-2017

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a maintenance free chassis, that you buy once and it will run brilliantly straight out of the box forever. - Specially when you are new to this "sport" you WILL break something on the track! Having built the chassis yourself will make it much easier for you to find the problem and solve it, since you know how everything is put together. It´s also not rocket science to build up a chassis from scratch, just follow the manual. ;)

The best advise I can give you on deciding on a chassis is to go to a local track before buying anything, talk to the people there, look at their chassis, ask for their recommendations and then buy accordingly. Since those are the people that you will run with anyway, they will be able to help you with any technical problems and the setup of the chassis much better when they have experience with the chassis themselves.
Maybe you can also find a good deal on a used ready to run chassis there to get you started? ;)

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Millsicorn - 03-17-2017

I'm super super young (early teenager) and I built the Sakura D4 with no major problems. It is as easy as getting the right tools and following directions. You can do it. The yokomo is a similar assembly I believe.

(03-17-2017, 11:24 AM)Davis Wrote:  Unfortunately there is no such thing as a maintenance free chassis, that you buy once and it will run brilliantly straight out of the box forever. - Specially when you are new to this "sport" you WILL break something on the track! Having built the chassis yourself will make it much easier for you to find the problem and solve it, since you know how everything is put together. It´s also not rocket science to build up a chassis from scratch, just follow the manual. ;)

The best advise I can give you on deciding on a chassis is to go to a local track before buying anything, talk to the people there, look at their chassis, ask for their recommendations and then buy accordingly. Since those are the people that you will run with anyway, they will be able to help you with any technical problems and the setup of the chassis much better when they have experience with the chassis themselves.
Maybe you can also find a good deal on a used ready to run chassis there to get you started? ;)

Great advice , others have mentioned the same point about building from scratch , learning the ropes and knowing your car from A to Z . I understand its the foundation to RC drifting , especially in RWD . I'm keeping my mind open , but id still like to hear more answers to several of the questions I've put out on this forum , thats why i joined this forum , to get all this great information from you all . 

I understand I'm asking a lot of questions , but i assure you , I'm learning plenty and i appreciate just about everyones responses and time in helping me out . Thank you .

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Millsicorn - 03-18-2017

Building it yourself is much easier than u think. Do get a good set of hex drivers.

RE: COKE VS PEPSI - Woodsnail - 04-06-2017

Quote:this "sport" you WILL break something on the track!

Do you think R/C drift is onroad touringcar speed bro? what the hell..

Since i'm a experinced and seasoned drifter with all brands i like to get a take in this..

First off - Don't do REDCAT/HPI/Tamiya if your goal is to drift properly.. MST - Yokomo is the top leaders in drift cars, then comes Sakura D4.

for 300$ i would choose either the YD-2 (RWD) or the RMX-S (RWD) since people who are doing RC will need to practice and it takes equal time to learn Countersteering as Rear wheel driven cars.. the bonus is with RWD there is a gyro that helps you.

500$ i would pick either a MST XXX-D or Yokomo YD-4 MR platform since it's the easiest to drive and offers great handling.

700$ The same for me, other than get a better servo, motor, esc and focus on get used to countersteering/Rwd - maybe upgrade the car with a carbon lower and upper deck as that increases the car's stiffness and let's the shocks work alot more..

A good radio is also good to have - I moved from a Sanwa MX-V to a MT-4 and the skills i've required after that are astonishing. You can adjust the feel/strength of the throttle/wheel and that makes you are better driver - Don't choose some half ass lame hobbyking radio unless you don't have the budget for it just yet..

It's a expensive sport to get started in, as you progress you discover some basic electronics you must gotta have and lot's of stuff that is not up to your standards..

But i'll say this - it's a hell of a lot cheaper than going to be king in a touring/offroad championship and you will not spend money on anything other than tires, wheels and bodies and they get worn out, change your style and likes of colours..