Forums
Eagle Racing M06 custom - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: Chassis, Styles, and Product Discussions (https://forum.driftmission.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) (https://forum.driftmission.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Eagle Racing M06 custom (/showthread.php?tid=11729)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Eagle Racing "M"31-16"RM" - DDJ - 07-27-2017

Thanks.

So I took this on my first drift session.....and discovered more issues. But that's what testing is all about. Turns out the shocks were not functioning properly. The O rings had too much friction causing the shocks to pretty much not work so I spun out so many times. But there were times where I would do complete laps and it looked great. I still had some front alignment issues and couldn't get the wheels to be parallel for most of the steering range. I know there's an alignment issue when I have to full-lock drift for most of the time. The surface was smooth as hell asphalt, very slick. I ran a 11-turn brushed setup just to see how it would behave. For the most part, it was fine but it was struggling a bit due to the motor resistance when I let off the throttle.

So my fixes for these issues are to slap on some Yokomo shocks I had lying round for the rears. They're have very little resistance and move a lot easier. I also went ahead and spent a pretty penny for some Usukani steering blocks. These solved the problem with the right tire making contact with the steering link since it changes the geometry enough for it to clear. So no more need for a steering stop and I can increase the EPA more. It drifts with more control right away, massive improvement. These are the oneway units, which is all that was available. I removed the bearing pins to eliminate the oneway feature.
[Image: 20170726_130238_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170726_205626_resized.jpg]
Yay clearance
[Image: 20170726_132914_resized.jpg]

I also put the brushless system back on and I think it will stay on.

For most of the session I ran the chassis at 239mm with this body. Ol' skool RX-7
[Image: 20170722_195017_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170722_195047_resized.jpg]
Body rides a bit high due to the use of thick magnets. I got a set of thinner magnets on the way so it'll sit better.

I got a ABC Hobby AW11 body on the way for my 210mm option.

I've been looking up to see what other kinds of M-chassis drift tires there are. So far there's HPI T drift, which is what I'm using, Tamiya but not sure of it's grip level, and Xpress, which has 3 different levels and their hardest compound is called "medium soft" so I'm not sure about that. And if I go another drift tire other than HPI, I'll have to get some wheels since HPI's have a slightly larger diameter. The T-drifts give plenty of traction (I'm used to running Raikous) especially as a rear-motor so I'll see what I can do to make them work (suspension, gearing, etc.).

RE: Eagle Racing "M"31-16"RM" - littlemonsta - 07-28-2017

I heard that the eagle racing gyros weren't good. Couple of guys at my track were complaining about them. How do you find them

Nice job btw

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

RE: Eagle Racing "M"31-16"RM" - DDJ - 07-28-2017

(07-28-2017, 11:02 AM)littlemonsta Wrote: I heard that the eagle racing gyros weren't good. Couple of guys at my track were complaining about them. How do you find them

Nice job btw

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's okay for now but not the best. I do see it causing some jitters and a bit of glitching. I do plan on upgrading to either Boom Racing or Yeah Racing gyro. I have a Boom Racing in my D4 and it's great.

RE: Eagle Racing "M"31-16"RM" - DDJ - 07-31-2017

So here's the chassis currently. I decided to move the rear stealth mount in front of the rear shock tower for better body mounting. It also allows me to lower the rear more for better stance. It also makes it easier to adjust the motor and swap pinions since there's nothing back there blocking it.
[Image: 20170730_153651_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170730_153658_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170730_153705_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170730_153713_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170730_153732_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170730_153759_resized.jpg]

Here's the AW11. It's so small
[Image: 20170728_215006_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170728_215126_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170728_215041_resized.jpg]
Size comparison to my Tamiya R33. A bit too small for scale.
[Image: 20170729_171058_resized.jpg]

[Image: 20170729_171154_resized.jpg]

Real R32 with AW11. I know it's an R32 but close enough to R33 size.
[Image: 14633137594_257783b607_b.jpg]

At first it was more challenging to drift this chassis at 210mm wheelbase since there's less stability with a shorter wheelbase. But after some tweaks to the suspension, it's not too bad. Also, finding stability at 210mm should make the other 2 longer wheelbases even more stable. Drifting the different wheelbases does require some driving adjustment because it does change its characteristics. It's not dramatic but I do feel it.

A couple things on the way:
- Yeah Racing Hackslider gyro
- 0 degree rear toe blocks

I still have to do more testing on a track layout to fine tune this little monster.

RE: Eagle Racing M06 custom - Oversliders Drift Works - 09-22-2017

Super tight job man. I love how you recycled that R31 perfectly.
Great job on the carbon fiber cutting.
How is it sliding?

RE: Eagle Racing M06 custom - DDJ - 11-02-2017

(09-22-2017, 01:41 PM)Oversliders Drift Works Wrote: Super tight job man. I love how you recycled that R31 perfectly.
Great job on the carbon fiber cutting.
How is it sliding?

Sorry for the late reply. It's sliding fine right now. I recently took it to the One Ten Drift Network drift demo at the Sacramento Auto Show. The surface is polished concrete and is like ice so you don't even need lots of throttle to slide. But it was spinning out very easily, mainly due to the front wheels still making contact with the lower control arms, and the right front tire hitting the steering link.

Actually just yesterday, I revamped the front suspension geometry by widening the front track by lengthening the lower control arms. It clears everything so much better now. I also redid the shocks using 30wt oil. Oh and I forgot to mention I'm using Raikou drift tires all around with 6mm offset wheels. I tinkered a bit more with preloads and alignments and it's quite better now. It still has a strong oversteer feel but I just have to be gentler on the weight shifting and throttle inputs. It's a bit tricky trying to balance the rear since all that weight provides lots of grip but I want it to slide easily while still keeping it in check.