DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!
new to rc drifting here from the UK, - Printable Version

+- DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting! (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: RC Drift Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-rc-drift-discussion)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-introductions)
+--- Thread: new to rc drifting here from the UK, (/Thread-new-to-rc-drifting-here-from-the-uk)

new to rc drifting here from the UK, - tanveer - 08-22-2017

just discovered the world of rc drifting, been into rc for many years and own a few large scale petrol rc's. im currently deciding between an mst xxxd rtr, or the fxxd rtr, just cant decide between 4wd and rwd

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - dadwithrc - 08-22-2017

Im new to drifting also but with the research I have done I can tell you that RWD is becoming the thing. 4WD is easier to drift on. You could get a RWD and use a gyro. look like both cars are very nice. Belt driven might be a better way to go if you want to get the RWD. You could get a counter steer kit and it would be very realistic. Welcome to the forum. Any more questions just let me know.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - Chiefy707 - 08-22-2017

Welcome to DM!

A RWD drifter with a gyro is still more difficult to drive than a 4WD drifter.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - mike43bridge - 08-23-2017

Hi - I'm by no means an expert but a bit Sakura biased (I have 3 of them). If it was me starting out again I would get a Sakura D4 AWD which can be converted to RWD easily and cheaply if you want. A brushless motor circa 10.5t, 60a esc and a computer radio all readily available from Hobbyking UK warehouse - pretty cheap (plus lipos and chargers etc). 
A 3mm tap helps when building because the screws are quite hard to get started in their respective holes, but apart from that quick and easy to build. Plenty of hop-ups and bling available if that sort of thing floats your boat. Stock tyres are garbage - I'm using HPI T-Drifts. 

Just my opinion - hope it helps.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - tanveer - 08-23-2017

(08-22-2017, 09:16 PM)dadwithrc Wrote:  Im new to drifting also but with the research I have done I can tell you that RWD is becoming the thing. 4WD is easier to drift on. You could get a RWD and use a gyro. look like both cars are very nice. Belt driven might be a better way to go if you want to get the RWD. You could get a counter steer kit and it would be very realistic. Welcome to the forum. Any more questions just let me know.

Thanks for the advice buddy, from what iv researched 4wd cs is easier and less realistic, 2wd being the latest trend and really taking off lately. All of the local drift clubs and local rc drifters have told me to stay away from rtr and to build an mst rmx 2.0 kit.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - Gramps50 - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 03:17 PM)tanveer Wrote:  
(08-22-2017, 09:16 PM)dadwithrc Wrote:  Im new to drifting also but with the research I have done I can tell you that RWD is becoming the thing. 4WD is easier to drift on. You could get a RWD and use a gyro. look like both cars are very nice. Belt driven might be a better way to go if you want to get the RWD. You could get a counter steer kit and it would be very realistic. Welcome to the forum. Any more questions just let me know.

Thanks for the advice buddy, from what iv researched 4wd cs is easier and less realistic, 2wd being the latest trend and really taking off lately. All of the local drift clubs and local rc drifters have told me to stay away from rtr and to build an mst rmx 2.0 kit.

My MST RMX 2.0s should be here tomorrow. Several of the guys at the local track here have them and love them. They drift great right out of the box.

A good RWD with gyro is not harder to learn on than a 4WD. There is a learning curve either way. When I got my 1st RWD I had only been drifting for about 3 weeks. Went to the track and one of the guys let me drive his YD-2 & Sukara D4 both RWD. This was enough to convenience me the you could learn on a RWD do I bought a Yokomo YD-2. My biggest issue was letting the gyro do it's work, I wanted to do my own countersteering. I sold the 4wd and bought the RM 2.0.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - dadwithrc - 08-23-2017

I hear you with the gyro. Its almost like cheating. I have only seen guys use them never used one myself.

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - tanveer - 08-24-2017

(08-23-2017, 07:30 PM)Gramps50 Wrote:  
(08-23-2017, 03:17 PM)tanveer Wrote:  

My MST RMX 2.0s should be here tomorrow. Several of the guys at the local track here have them and love them. They drift great right out of the box.

A good RWD with gyro is not harder to learn on than a 4WD. There is a learning curve either way. When I got my 1st RWD I had only been drifting for about 3 weeks. Went to the track and one of the guys let me drive his YD-2 & Sukara D4 both RWD. This was enough to convenience me the you could learn on a RWD do I bought a Yokomo YD-2. My biggest issue was letting the gyro do it's work, I wanted to do my own countersteering. I sold the 4wd and bought the RM 2.0.

would you let me know how the build goes? iv build a few tamiya kits in the past but nothing like a drift chassis, will be ordering mine next week...cant wait!!

RE: new to rc drifting here from the UK, - dadwithrc - 08-24-2017

Of course I will post some pics of the body.