DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!
Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - Printable Version

+- DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting! (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: RC Drift Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-rc-drift-discussion)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-introductions)
+--- Thread: Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car (/Thread-traxxas-rustler-sand-buggy-turned-drift-car)

Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - SlammedRustler125 - 12-08-2017

So, I'm VERY new here... The name's Everett, and boy, have I got a build to show you. Picture this - you have 2 rustler chassis (1 velineon brushless, one good ol' brushed) and was getting bored of the offroad cycle - Run, Break, Buy, Repair, and was starting to be very interested in drifting. And voila, I order a set of drift tires, a set of rims and a Tamiya Torque Tuned RS540 barrel motor. After dialing my suspension setup and tire composites, and doing tons of tiny things to the build, My dad (Who raced RC's in the 90's and lost very rarely) found his old Acto-Power Touring Special Motor From the early 90s and gave it too me, as he is now building RC crawlers and has very little interest in racing anymore. Anyways, After some slight research on these motors which are now discontinued apparently put out 440g/cm of torque and capable of over 30000rpm If you are running advanced timing. Just got it put in tonight as I have been busy with school, and have nowhere to run it because I live in Canada and currently have over a foot of snow and this car has 0 ground clearance. Been quite the tangent so you can already tell I feel right at home on the DriftMission forums. Only having slight issues with uploading my pictures as thier filesize is far too big

RE: Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - SlammedRustler125 - 12-08-2017

[attachment=3776]
[attachment=3775]

RE: Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - SlammedRustler125 - 12-08-2017

*Velineon chassis was a parts donation from a friend of mine, you can see that I use the Rear castor blocks from it but use modified stock front knuckles with a C-hub delete, and I also used JB Weld to lock the rear diff, for obvious reasons... Cut springs all around on stock shocks, with a 1/4 inch worth of spacers on the front to stiffen the suspension and have the front ride height easily ajustable

RE: Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - Tiger.T - 12-11-2017

(12-08-2017, 06:40 PM)SlammedRustler125 Wrote:  *Velineon chassis was a parts donation from a friend of mine, you can see that I use the Rear castor blocks from it but use modified stock front knuckles with a C-hub delete, and I also used JB Weld to lock the rear diff, for obvious reasons... Cut springs all around on stock shocks, with a 1/4 inch worth of spacers on the front to stiffen the suspension and have the front ride height easily ajustable

That looks crazy. 
If I was you I would look into a cheap gyro because since you are RWD the car will spend a lot of time spinning out.

RE: Traxxas Rustler ~ Sand Buggy Turned Drift Car - SlammedRustler125 - 12-19-2017

Ive also been thinking about trying to get either some D-Like or Usukani knuckles because I only get like 45 - 50 degrees of lock. Not sure how to mount to my lower Y arm as it connects by a kingpin and fork, and both sets of knuckles connect to the Y arms by ball joints... Might just get a cheap set of YeahRacing kunuckles to sort of mock it up and make sure my tires dont hit the wide ass Y arms.