DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting!
1st 1/10 drift Project , Sakura D4. - Printable Version

+- DriftMission RC Drift Forums - Your Home for RC Drifting! (https://forum.driftmission.com)
+-- Forum: RC Drift Discussion (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-rc-drift-discussion)
+--- Forum: Help Section (https://forum.driftmission.com/Forum-help-section)
+--- Thread: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Sakura D4. (/Thread-1st-1-10-drift-project-sakura-d4)

1st 1/10 drift Project , Sakura D4. - tt01 project - 05-01-2018

Hello there 

I have been updating this post , I received the majority of the stuff I ordered , waiting on a few , will update this when I start putting everything together by the end of June .

I wanted to build a  Tamiya 1/10 TT01E Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evo.II and turn it into a drift car.
I haven't bought anything yet when I initially posted this , I was just developing a shopping list in hopes of getting feedback and advice on choices and alternatives.
Why the TT01E ?
Simply for the body. On discount but didn't buy it , might not buy it at all or I might still get it LOL conflicted between want and waste.
Whats the plan? I have been editing this post as I buy stuff or decide on parts and specs
- Chassis  
3Racing Sakura D4 RWD Pre-Assembled Chassis . Bought on discount
This has the mono shock mounted on the upper front arms , I don't know if they call this V2 or Advanced Chassis.
- Gyro 
Sanwa drift gyro Bought on discount
Can set up from your transmitter , using gain adjustment 
- ESC 
Sanwa/Airtronics Super Vortex Type-D Sensored Brushless Drifting ESC Bought on discount
●Back cancel function

●Boost Zero displaying function
●SSR/SHR/NOR automated recognition & displaying
●8 program mode equipped
 ・Throttle response (new function)
 ・Neutral Brake rate
 ・Drive feel
 ・Neutral Brake feel
 ・Brake feel
 ・Boost timing (Advanced timing)
 ・Turbo / Revolution limiter ( New function )
 ・Power mode / Active throttle ( New function )
●SSL function
- Motor  
Onisiki 8.5T Bought on discount  Omg  8.5T ? what were you thinking? Relax , I can lower the timing manually on this specific motor and automatically via the Sanwa remote hopefully.
[Image: onisiki-oni-6406-5.jpg]
- Wheels & Tires 
MST offset changeable wheels and MST drift tires Maybe Next Month 
- Servo 
Bought on Discount ,Blue Bird BLS , Fastest + Cheapest + wide power range.
I really wanted the PGS-LH TYPE-D but unfortunately it isn't compatible with the transmitter nor the gyro.  ='( 
- Transceiver Set  
Sanwa MT-S 2.4GHz 4Ch with RX-482 Receiver Bought the cheapest price I found 
●When used with compatible RX-472, RX-482, Super Vortex Series, SV-Plus Series, the setting of ESC etc. by Transmitter is available through SSL functions while driving.

●Since the setting can be done without the stop of car, the detailed adjustment in accordance with Race conditions 
is available without interruption of Intervals and the change of machine conditions.

Bought a set of Hopups , discounted of course. I like discounts , we all do.  ^^
  • Yeah Racing 2.0mm Graphite Upper Deck For For 3Racing Sakura D4 AWD RWD #SKD4-013 This weighs 8grams the Original weighs 12 grams

• Yeah Racing 2.5mm Carbon Graphite Chassis Plate For 3Racing Sakura D4 AWD RWD #SKD4-006 This weighs 66 grams the Original weighs 105
    Grand total of 71 grams yeah racing graphite chassis vs 118 grams Original Thats a 47 gram reduction.
  • Yeah Racing Aluminum D4 Steering & Suspension Upgrade Kit For 3Racing Sakura D4 AWD RWD Pink #SKD4-S01PK Have been installing these whenever I got a chance , SKD4-002 Adjustable upper arm will not fit with the mono shock wing upper arm . you need a 10x15x4mm ball bearing for the SKD4-001 High Kpi Steering knuckle. The SKD4-011 Spur Gear Adaptor does not align with the Spur Gear holes and will cause your spur gear to warp and wobble and ultimately break  , so you can skip that.

• [Image: cb1121-1.jpg]

• 3Racing Multiple Drift Body Mount For Sakura D4 AWD RWD #SAK-D4832/BK

• 3Racing Sakura D4 RWD Aluminum Curve Slide Track Steering Set Black #SAK-D4827/BK This is the last thing you want to install as the curve arm rests on 4 tiny steel balls that will drop out and disappear while fiddling about with your car so save this step for the end when you've got your servo and install together. Maybe put some grease in the holes to keep them stuck in there.
  • [Image: 3racing-SAK-D4827-PK-1.jpg]

• 3Racing Sakura D4 15G Brass Weight Balancer 5 Pcs Gun Metal #SAK-D4802A

• 3Racing Sakura D4 5G Brass Weight Balancer 5 pcs Gun Metal #SAK-D4801
After installing all the Upgrades the Original non modified Chassis weighs 639 Grams vs Fully Modified 625 Grams
Just the Chassis excluding ESC , Motor , Servo , recover , battery and weight balancers .

I dont know what I'm getting myself into.
I don't like fiddling about with 1/10 cars so the convenience the Sanwa system offers was a no brainer as you can modify the motors RPM , the gyro , the servo end points , the rate of acceleration , and god knows what through the remote.
Buying the Sanwa system will keep me up at night and I hope its worth it , but I won't know for sure until I have money to buy the Servo.

I still don't have a body but I've bought the important stuff ... discounted.  ;)
There isn't a lot of info on the Sanwas on the net so I really hope I don't live to regret my decision but I saw a good drifter on youtube (Afro's RC Club , guy from Canada) with a Sanwa esc on his D4 and his team at least own 2 D4s and that encouraged me to buy a D4 also.

1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - yungclooney - 05-02-2018

why would you buy a whole tt01 just for the body? couldnt you get benz body alone?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - tt01 project - 05-03-2018

(05-02-2018, 10:47 PM)yungclooney Wrote:  why would you buy a whole tt01 just for the body? couldnt you get benz body alone?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

I look at it this way.

If I buy the body , wing , grill and the ESC alone then it will cost around the same or even more so better buy the whole package and I can sell or donate the rest.

Waiting on your input though on the project.  ^^

What receiver transmitter combo would you recommend ?

What Gyro would you recommend? MST 3.0 ?

-------------------------------------------
Edit 
The Sanwa Forced my hand and changed my whole plan. XD

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - BambooSwordBa - 05-05-2018

Since I see you mention gyro I presume you're going for RWD?
Why not try looking at MST like FXX-D and RMX? There are good to drift off the box without any mods.

I don't know about the gyro you're looking for but it looks solid though. What I have is a budget one, Slidelogy. Which is a clone of D-like. It works very well and relatively cheap too, just under 20 USD.

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - tt01 project - 05-06-2018

(05-05-2018, 03:02 PM)BambooSwordBa Wrote:  Since I see you mention gyro I presume you're going for RWD?
Why not try looking at MST like FXX-D and RMX? There are good to drift off the box without any mods.

I don't know about the gyro you're looking for but it looks solid though. What I have is a budget one, Slidelogy. Which is a clone of D-like. It works very well and relatively cheap too, just under 20 USD.
Yes I'm going for RWD
Thanx for the Advice 
I saw an MST RWD side by side with the D4
Either the MST driver was a klutz or the D4 is way better than the MST

I'm a miser and I like anything thats cheap LOL , but my gut tells me get a full Sanwa electronics set up.
I don't know.
What motor should I get for the D4 do you feel?
I found a 3racing sheet where they tested it with a T10.5 but sensored motor with a programmable ESC I can lower the rpm from the Sanwa remote even.
The Onosaki motor timing can be adjusted manually to raise and lower power.
What do you think?
[Image: onisiki-oni-6406-5.jpg]

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - BambooSwordBa - 05-06-2018

(05-06-2018, 12:34 AM)tt01 project Wrote:  ...
Either MST driver was a klutz or D4 has sliding steering rack and new front knuckles installed I'd imagine. With a bit of upgrades D4 is fantastic, that's what I've heard. But MST is what everyone say it's solid out of the box.
D4 is already a good chassis but I've seen a lot of people recommend out off the box upgrades like sliding rack and knuckle all the time.

As for the motor, Hobbyking.com sells some resonably priced brushless sensored motors. Or try looking at Hobbywing. They make very good stuffs and the price is pretty nice too.

However I went for the cheapest thing I can find on the internet which is Racerstar 3900kV + 60A ESC combo for 55 USD. It's good enough for my Sakura D3 and I never have any problem with it (maybe I'm just lucky). The start is not that smooth like sensored one, of course but it's more than capable for CS drift.

ps. I'm sticking with my AWD CS drift at the moment because I don't play 1/10 as much. Maybe some RWD folks will come and give you more advice about how to build a RWD car.

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - tt01 project - 05-06-2018

(05-06-2018, 02:02 AM)BambooSwordBa Wrote:  
(05-06-2018, 12:34 AM)tt01 project Wrote:  ...
Either MST driver was a klutz or D4 has sliding steering rack and new front knuckles installed I'd imagine. With a bit of upgrades D4 is fantastic, that's what I've heard. But MST is what everyone say it's solid out of the box.
D4 is already a good chassis but I've seen a lot of people recommend out off the box upgrades like sliding rack and knuckle all the time.

As for the motor, Hobbyking.com sells some resonably priced brushless sensored motors. Or try looking at Hobbywing. They make very good stuffs and the price is pretty nice too.

However I went for the cheapest thing I can find on the internet which is Racerstar 3900kV + 60A ESC combo for 55 USD. It's good enough for my Sakura D3 and I never have any problem with it (maybe I'm just lucky). The start is not that smooth like sensored one, of course but it's more than capable for CS drift.

ps. I'm sticking with my AWD CS drift at the moment because I don't play 1/10 as much. Maybe some RWD folks will come and give you more advice about how to build a RWD car.
AWD CS ?
Kyosho minis you mean? LOL
Those things drove me crazy , I bought every upgrade there is and they still don't drift right.
MA 020 s
Ive got a nissan slieghty and a 180 NX , the sleighty drives better than the 180 NX and even the transmitter wheel tension and the responsivity of the sleighty is way better than the NX although they should be the same.
Got the M's Racing Gears and axles
Got one ways & solids both kyosho and 3racing 
Springs , toe , camber , tie rods , you name it I have it.
I haven't given up on them yet but I'm just taking a break from them before I start adding weights to them and trying different tyres and rims..

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - BambooSwordBa - 05-06-2018

Actually, I meant my Sakura D3 (because we're talking about 1/10 here) and won't move on from it because I don't have a proper place to play 1/10.

But OMG! You tried literally everything on MA020. Hopefully you haven't invested in inboard front suspension and rear DWS/SAS yet. It's better to move on to other chassis.

I got 3 1/28 cars and none of them is Mini-Z. I've tried Mini-Z though, that's why I don't have it. The platform is too closed and I can't mod much unless I start cutting the chassis extensively to install 3rd party parts. The only good things are body, wheel, tyre... and build quality. No offence but you also got bragging right that you own a Mini-Z... that's all.
Don't get me wrong. It was great micro car when I came out. I'm forever grateful for Kyosho for making 1/28 car and being a trend setter. But now we have moved on to double wishbone suspension in micros and Mini-Z AWD got obsolete instantly. Their RWD is still relevant though, because we still use pan car platform.

I just got brushless installed in a lesser car (WLtoys 1/28).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB6T33zoo3g
This is not the best car I have but it's cheap.
Here's a better one with just off the shelf parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUMMfmmZi8

Seems like I have derailed the conversation for 1/10. Sorry for that.

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - tt01 project - 05-08-2018

(05-06-2018, 05:32 AM)BambooSwordBa Wrote:  Actually, I meant my Sakura D3 (because we're talking about 1/10 here) and won't move on from it because I don't have a proper place to play 1/10.

But OMG! You tried literally everything on MA020. Hopefully you haven't invested in inboard front suspension and rear DWS/SAS yet. It's better to move on to other chassis.

I got 3 1/28 cars and none of them is Mini-Z. I've tried Mini-Z though, that's why I don't have it. The platform is too closed and I can't mod much unless I start cutting the chassis extensively to install 3rd party parts. The only good things are body, wheel, tyre... and build quality. No offence but you also got bragging right that you own a Mini-Z... that's all.
Don't get me wrong. It was great micro car when I came out. I'm forever grateful for Kyosho for making 1/28 car and being a trend setter. But now we have moved on to double wishbone suspension in micros and Mini-Z AWD got obsolete instantly. Their RWD is still relevant though, because we still use pan car platform.

I just got brushless installed in a lesser car (WLtoys 1/28).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB6T33zoo3g
This is not the best car I have but it's cheap.
Here's a better one with just off the shelf parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUMMfmmZi8

Seems like I have derailed the conversation for 1/10. Sorry for that.

Omg  Beaver .
Your videos got me into drifting.
I subscribed to you for a while back when you still weren't famous. LOL
I commented on this page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDLa7XmbiY
And then re-subscibed to you after I got my Mini-zs  
I got one of those WL toys 1/28 also but I didn't try modifying them because I thought the Mini-z was better and went for that.

You are a very sincere and amazing guy.
I've seen you help out a lot of people.
An honour to meet you.
Next time you comment you should start with that. Beaver the youtube Drift Guru.
I will get the Kyoshos to drift right by looking for different tyre materials and adding weights and changing ratios but I'm sick and tired of them and I'm taking a brake from them for now.

RE: 1st 1/10 drift Project , Advice needed. - BambooSwordBa - 05-08-2018

Thanks for watching. I'm always glad that I could help someone. I still think I'm not famous though LOL, just helping people to have fun that's all.
To modify WL you need quite an extensive toolkit and a lot of time on your hands. It's like a shrink down 1/10 anyway.
Tyres help a lot but from what I've tried Kyosho tyres are still the best for the floor that I run.
You can try looking at other ones like DSracing, M's racing too and recently Atomic has more drift tyres coming in. Just stay away from Austar, it's crap. I've seen some people using Austar quite will but he processed the tyres beyond recognition.

For the time being just focus on your 1/10, it's much easier to tune than micros.