Yikes! I want to cut open my bodyshell, without messing it up...

7 Replies, 1961 Views

Hi guys,
Thanks for having a look in this thread!

I bought a tt01D toyota 86 kit, which comes with a, so called, lightweight bodyshell. Those lightweight Tamiya shells are pre drilled, what should be easier for me  :=):

The thing is: I want to add an engine bay to the car. So suddenly, I've got a body with holes in the bonnet with no function. To fix this, I purchased an ABC hobby custom aero duct part set.

Here comes the question: how do I best measure an make the holes to glue them into.

Thanks for your tips, tricks and suggestions!
Based upon the pictures I've seen of the product, you don't really cut holes into your shell to install those ducts but rather attach them to the outside of your shell.

-Vic
Stable
  • Yokomo DIB275 Premium (RWD Conversion)
  • Yokomo DPR (Hayato Yoshiba Spec)
  • Yokomo YD-4
  • Yokomo YD-2 PLUS
Drift Gundam Blog
As mentioned above, just paint them and stick them on
eww... that's like "WRX TMIC intake" servotaped onto 1:1 Hyundai Excel bonnet... Sad

That ABC molding has a big rectangle outline and a inner outline relieved around the vent itself... I think you should be able to neatly cutout the shape of that inner outline then paste it thru from the inside.
[Image: MRCsig.gif]
(04-12-2016, 07:24 PM)tamiya Wrote: eww... that's like "WRX TMIC intake" servotaped onto 1:1 Hyundai Excel bonnet... Sad 

That ABC molding has a big rectangle outline and a inner outline relieved around the vent itself... I think you should be able to neatly cutout the shape of that inner outline then paste it thru from the inside.

That was my feeling too, It should not look super aftermarket but like it is machined into the bonnet. The issue is how to measure, draw and cut so it looks that way  Shy
Cut them out, then mark around the edges on some scrap lexan. Have a couple of tries to get comfortable before doing it to your shell
If u want to be really pro, I'd photocopy the back/flat side of the whole piece and print it onto thin card. Then cut out the hole in the card so that it fits over the duct neatly... before u transfer it over to lexan (assuming it's already painted so u can't see thru it anymore)

To cut really fine holes... I own a Dremel Stylus but it's very easy to muck up using power tools. A safer way is to saw using cotton thread... poke thread thru a starting hole, tie thread thru AA batteries either side as handles then slowly saw along line you want. Need someone to hole the shell unless you can clamp it down.
[Image: MRCsig.gif]
(04-16-2016, 07:21 AM)tamiya Wrote: If u want to be really pro, I'd photocopy the back/flat side of the whole piece and print it onto thin card. Then cut out the hole in the card so that it fits over the duct neatly... before u transfer it over to lexan (assuming it's already painted so u can't see thru it anymore)

To cut really fine holes... I own a Dremel Stylus but it's very easy to muck up using power tools. A safer way is to saw using cotton thread... poke thread thru a starting hole, tie thread thru AA batteries either side as handles then slowly saw along line you want. Need someone to hole the shell unless you can clamp it down.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try it this way ;-)