Looking To Get Into RC Drift Cars

7 Replies, 143 Views

Totally new to rc drift cars, but honestly they look super fun. So I am looking to find a decent starter chassis, body, setup, everything for a decent price. No real preferences on body models or brands, I really don't know enough yet to know what brands to look for, just trying to find a decent car. I don't want to spend a fortune right now since I'm just getting into it, so cheap is my friend.

Thanks for dealing with a newb here :lol:
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2017, 12:38 AM by snakenator.)
If you are looking to get your feet wet and see if this is for you, I'd recommend a brushed 4WD chassis off of the NitroRCX.com site. They are around $100 for everything and they are bulletproof set ups and fairly adjustable. I use them for my after school RC Drift club and they have been holding strong for more than 2 years now.
MST has come super good starter chassis with a lot of upgrades to pick from
(02-15-2017, 04:56 AM)isaacd101 Wrote: MST has come super good starter chassis with a lot of upgrades to pick from

(02-12-2017, 04:17 PM)MattyJ603 Wrote: If you are looking to get your feet wet and see if this is for you, I'd recommend a brushed 4WD chassis off of the NitroRCX.com site. They are around $100 for everything and they are bulletproof set ups and fairly adjustable. I use them for my after school RC Drift club and they have been holding strong for more than 2 years now.

A local guy is selling a barely used Sprint 2 setup with a couple upgraded things (mainly lights and such I think) and extra batteries for under $150, looks like a great deal to me. Would I be better off doing this than going with an MST chassis or something?

I plan on test driving it soon, is there anything I should pay special attention to that could be a red flag? I'm not really far enough into this yet to know on my own what could be a big problem.
Thats a good deal. I started with HPI lower level drifters (E10) and then bought a Sprint 2 off of Craigslist. The Sprint 2 is a great chassis to start with and if the person is selling everything you need for $150, I would definitely do that. It is a smooth driving car with many ways to tune, upgrade, and improve. Buy that and learn to drive, but be careful. RC Drifting is by far the most addictive genre of RC I have ever been involved with. It is a slippery slope and super fun!!!
Sprint 2 is awesome. I have mine set up with a monoshock front suspension and camber mixing rear linkage from 3racing. drives like a dream. It is like a crack addiction Smile have fun with it!
So I bought it! Really fun to mess around with right now, but that's all I can really do so far. A little harder to control than I had thought. Well, not too hard to control, its just hard to control well.
I know what you mean it looks easier than it really is but still fun and addicting. I too am trying to learn on a stock Sprint 2. I have tried several different things but basically went back to stock. I will be updating the shocks and springs, my shocks won't hold oil and the springs are as hard as a rock.

I started by laying down a trash can lid and drifted around it, most of the time the circle was bigger then the TC lid. You want to do both clockwise and counter clockwise circles.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd