Steering servo recommendations

30 Replies, 34061 Views

I have a Sprint 2 Drift and have the stock .18 second steering servo. I test drove an RC car with a .08 second steering servo and it was amazing but I guess anything with less than .15 would be fine :p What would be a cost effective upgrade?
ive never used one but BlueBird on hobbyking.com makes a few high speed metal gear servos for 14-30 bucks. there all .15 or less.

Honestly tho speed on a servo doesnt matter. its all in timing and such. I would look for other tuning options first Smile

I run mostly standard cheapie servos. from .2-.18 the only real difference is the reaction to the wheel. when it comes to drifting most of the time your locked one way or the other so rotation speed isnt really an issue.

i would at the very least recommend a low profile servo such as this
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2012, 03:24 AM by robb41488.)
(11-01-2012, 03:15 AM)robb41488 Wrote: ive never used one but BlueBird on hobbyking.com makes a few high speed metal gear servos for 14-30 bucks. there all .15 or less.

Honestly tho speed on a servo doesnt matter. its all in timing and such. I would look for other tuning options first Smile

I run mostly standard cheapie servos. from .2-.18 the only real difference is the reaction to the wheel. when it comes to drifting most of the time your locked one way or the other so rotation speed isnt really an issue.

i would at the very least recommend a low profile servo such as this

Wow that's considerably cheaper than what I was looking at. But thanks for the info! Maybe ill hold off on the servo for a bit.
Or you can have some fun with it and use one of these , I own one its been nothing but good to me
FS-01D
MS-01D
VDF-II
FR-D v3.0
Active FR Rwd - Forsale
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM by Piper.)
The savox 1258 servos are great,... but i feel that for the price $55-60 shipped, they're a bit expensive if your not entering comps or running with other drifters with the same servos. The Best bang for my buck for servos has been the Bluebird line. I use a BB 661 digital metal gear hi speed/torque servo. it is rated at 0.08 sec and was shipped to my door for less than $30. My Boy aznpulse also runs these but in the 621 analog version and we can both speak for the quality of performance these servos put out. perfect for parking lot bashing and capable of performing at comp level quality.
It has been flawless for over a year. In fact, its been so good to me that i just ordered another. :^^:
if you don't need a digital servo, go with the 621 mg+hs/ht (same speed rating=0.08)... i think

Rc mart has savox servos on sale so maybe ill try one, but for now the bb will do nicely
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM by rudeboy03.)
Bluebirds have their moments. Sometimes they are good (mine lasted for over a year of abuse) and sometimes they are shit. Many people in our club had them go wrong within 1 or 2 months. The Savox are the best bang for the buck as they are very reliable and lots cheaper than similar spec Futaba, Orion, Sanwa and Hitec. If you are looking for something cheap you could always consider getting a 2ndhand Futaba or Hitec, they are bulletproof so it doesn't really matter if they are 2nd hand:=):
[Image: twssig.png]
wreckitsideways.com
ZILLAlife*Hiro Seiko*Tonisport*SkyRC*RC OMG
(11-14-2012, 01:57 PM)rudeboy03 Wrote: The savox 1258 servos are great,... but i feel that for the price $55-60 shipped, they're a bit expensive if your not entering comps or running with other drifters with the same servos. The Best bang for my buck for servos has been the Bluebird line. I use a BB 661 digital metal gear hi speed/torque servo. it is rated at 0.08 sec and was shipped to my door for less than $30. My Boy aznpulse also runs these but in the 621 analog version and we can both speak for the quality of performance these servos put out. perfect for parking lot bashing and capable of performing at comp level quality.
It has been flawless for over a year. In fact, its been so good to me that i just ordered another. :^^:
if you don't need a digital servo, go with the 621 mg+hs/ht (same speed rating=0.08)... i think

Rc mart has savox servos on sale so maybe ill try one, but for now the bb will do nicely

Where abouts do you order these from? Think I'm gonna order one tomorrow lol
(11-16-2012, 05:03 AM)DM1 Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 01:57 PM)rudeboy03 Wrote: The savox 1258 servos are great,... but i feel that for the price $55-60 shipped, they're a bit expensive if your not entering comps or running with other drifters with the same servos. The Best bang for my buck for servos has been the Bluebird line. I use a BB 661 digital metal gear hi speed/torque servo. it is rated at 0.08 sec and was shipped to my door for less than $30. My Boy aznpulse also runs these but in the 621 analog version and we can both speak for the quality of performance these servos put out. perfect for parking lot bashing and capable of performing at comp level quality.

Where abouts do you order these from? Think I'm gonna order one tomorrow lol

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...46_5g.html
i run a exi digital servo its .08 i got in hobbyparts for 15$
(11-19-2012, 07:06 PM)valve_timing Wrote: i run a exi digital servo its .08 i got in hobbyparts for 15$

now that sounds too good to be true....
Ok im interested. How does it perform, and got a link???