hpi toyota supra on MST 01D

11 Replies, 5745 Views

(08-23-2014, 02:38 AM)DELxJCdriftteam Wrote: @ihavesauce dont really know. but I tried w paper then tissue paper to trace. then I bought a thinner cf sheet. then i used that sheet to trim and then use that to trace into the thick cf . damn I confused myself hahahahah

@ihavesauce and thanks!! im thinking of also making a cf front lip

lay down blue 3M painters tape, overlapping the strips slightly so that it'll pull up in one big sheet when you're done. make sure to make it larger than what you need. once it is pressed down good and evenly to the surace, with your fingernail, press down on the tape where body lines are (in this case the hood) then trace that line with a fine tip Sharpie. pull the tape up, which is now a template of the hood, lay it on a sheet of CF vinyl and cut where your Sharpie lines are. pull the tape off the CF and you've got the exact size/shape you need.
this is how I make all my CF hoods, trunks, roofs etc.
also, when you go to apply it, get it nice and hot with a hair dryer so that it forms nicely to bumps such as the hood vent, plus the heat will make it stick longer and present peeling after time.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
@wareagle oh ye I forgot about that method. thats howni traced my lights for my subaru before. I hate that the hpi body lines are so thin though.